Friday 26 May 2006

Trishaw Rides In Malaysia


The days when trishaws is a mode of transport is coming to an end. I remember when I was young I travel to school on a trishaw. My father did not own any car in those days.

There not many places left where we can still see trishaws on the road still servicing people who want to commute or to carry light goods. As far as I have travel around the country, these three wheeled man-powered vehicle can still be seen in Kelantan, Terengganu, Kedah, Penang and Malacca. In most parts of Malaysia it is safe to say that trishaw services have come to a stage of extinction, I think. Today the livelihood of trishaw peddlar has been affected when there are cars, motorcycles and the more convenient public transportation are available.

However this mode of transport in Malacca and Penang had been given a new lease of life by the authority as a tourist attraction. In both cities, the government help make this trishaw peddlar keep earning their living by turning trishaws into a tourist commodity. The picture tells all. In Malay the trishaw is called "beca".

If you visit Malacca and Penang please add in a trishaw ride on your travel itenary. It will be an experience worth your money.

No comments:

DISCOVER KEDAH 2016

I Follow......